Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Buenos Aires' Idiosyncracies

In addition to dog poop everywhere (this drives me crazy!), Buenos Aires has some other funny features worth sharing.
The problem of "moneda" (coins) is never-ending! No one has coins or will give out coins. Business-owners are not able to get coins from the banks. If you buy something that costs a fraction of a Peso, people will just round down (to the customer's benefit), so they do not have to give out coins. BUT, the city buses, which are great and convenient and fast and run all night long (very loudly, down our street), ONLY take coins. So, there is a constant struggle in this city to get coins and horde them! I am getting pretty good at it myself. In the first place, Joe gives me all his coins, which is key (he likes to take the subway more than the bus). Secondly, I am getting very used to lying. Any shopkeeper who asks me if I have exact change or any moneda at all, I just say "no", very emphatically. Sometimes, that results in a coin for me.
This is a very late-night city. Restaurants do not open on the weekends until 8:00 or 8:30, but even then, the waiters are usually just setting up because no one comes to eat until 10:00. Except me and Joe! We are ravenous by 8:00 and peaking in windows by 8:30, hoping that we will not be eating alone, again. But we usually are. We feel like giant losers. We haven't even attempted to go out and see any music or anything like that. That doesn't start until 2-4 in the morning. There are some clubs here, seriously, that do not open until 4 a.m. on the weekends, when we have been asleep for at least 5 hours, having eaten dinner by ourselves at 8:30.

1 comment:

Arielle said...

So great to follow your travels and hear your thoughts! We are deep in the wine harvest over here and enjoying the very relaxing Kiwi lifestyle in Wanaka. Buenos Aires sounds like a fascinating and mixed up city, "third world"? I'm sure that the lack of decent produce is not conducive to long term living, sometimes it is the little things that matter! I wish you two the best...
Arielle (from Hopewell)